Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Party Cup: An Inconvenient Truth


The National Recycling Coalition declared today America Recycles Day. With this “holiday” on my mind, as I was walking down a street heavily populated by frat houses, I couldn’t help but notice the abundance of cans and party cups scattered across the sidewalk.

This didn’t bother me quite as much as I would have expected. Perhaps I have been desensitized, as a lawn freckled with shiny red plastic cups is commonplace every Saturday morning here on campus. Yet part of me (the part enabling my friends to test, at my expense, their repertoire of granola eating-birkenstock wearing-tree hugging humor) wondered what becomes of the usual remnants of a Friday night. Party cups, an undeniable staple of collegiate nightlife, are as wasteful as they are convenient. I don’t mean to pin this down solely on the Greek kids on campus; lack of recycling is something to which we are all guilty.
Just a thought. Happy recycling day.

No comments: